As one of SA’s newest IFBB Pro’s, Jason Dunning has surpassed all expectations and roared straight to greatness. He is the epitome of the high calibre of talent we have here in SA and at the age of 30 he is only just getting armed up. We can’t wait for what’s coming, and if he continues to make progress as fast as he has, I have no doubt we will be seeing him on the world’s biggest Bodybuilding stages in no time at all.
By Andrew Carruthers, Editor-In-Chief. Photos by Soulby Jackson (www.skjphotography.co.za), courtesy of NPL International.
Full Name: Jason Dunning
Lives: Edenvale, Johannesburg
Trains: Virgin Active
Years Training: 13 years
Years Competing: 5 years
Federation of choice: IFBB Professional League
Off-season weight: 88kg – 94kg
Current Competitive Weight: 77kg – 80kg
Most Notable Achievement/s to date:
- Attaining my IFBB Pro Status at the 2019 Amateur Olympia in Spain – 1st place overall men’s physique.
- Competing at the Japan Pro – Top 10 (Pro debut 2019).
- Completing my MSc (Med) in Exercise Physiology.
Shortlist of competitive highlights:
- 2019 IFBB Japan Pro, Tokyo, Japan: Men’s Physique (Pro Debut): 9th Place.
- 2019 IFBB/NPC Amateur Olympia, Alicante, Spain: Men’s Physique: 1st place Overall champion.
- 2019 IFBB iCandy Classic JHB: Men’s Physique: 1st place.
- 2018 IFBB Arnold Classic Africa: Classic Bodybuilding: 2nd place.
- 2018 IFBB Millennium Gold Plate: Classic Bodybuilding: 1st place.
- 2016 WFF World Championships, Dublin, Ireland: Men’s Fitness bodybuilding: 5th place.
- 2016 WFF Universe Championships, Orlando, Florida: Men’s fitness bodybuilding: 2nd place.
- 2016 NABBA/WFF PTA Classic: Men’s fitness bodybuilding (classic bodybuilding): 1st place.
- 2015 WFF World Championships, SA, sports model category: 4th place.
- 2015 NABBA/WFF South African National Championships, male model fitness category: 3rd place.
- 2015 NABBA/WFF Mpumalanga Provincial Championships, male model fitness category: 1st place.
What do you do for a living?
I currently work for a sports nutrition company in Johannesburg, and I practice as an exercise physiologist from time to time – assisting with some sports performance testing and programme development.
How do you split up your training days weekly?
Currently from day 1-6: Chest, Quads/Calves, Back, Shoulders, Arms, Hamstrings/Calves, Day 7 – Rest. With a 3-week rotation – Strength focused (high load), TUT, volume focused (lower load).
Favourite body part to train?
Incline chest press
Favourite Diet Food?
Best Cheat Meal?
Other Interests, Hobbies etc?
Riding/track days (motorcycle); Guitar (electric, acoustic, ukulele); Gaming (PS4/PC).
Future Goals: Short term and long term goals?
Short-term: Work to improve my overall balance and symmetry and transition into classic physique.
Long-term: Qualify and compete at the Olympia and open my own business.
Favourite International and Local athletes?
I have always looked up to my coach Robbi Crafford but there are many other local athletes I admire. International athletes would be Regan Grimes and Chris Bumstead.
What motivates you?
I enjoy challenging myself to improve in all aspects. There is also no greater feeling than helping those who give their best effort and commit to achieve a goal set for themselves.
How do you stay motivated?
It is difficult to stay motivated each and every day, so, when I have it, I use it! However, when I don’t it’s important to rely on discipline and focus on the end goal.
What do you believe to be your number one character trait that makes you successful in this sport?
I can be quite obsessive – I like to be prepared and organised and I think that this helps me stick to a routine. In all honesty I can be doubtful at times, but I will always persevere, and I won’t give up.
What encouraging words do you have for up and coming athletes that look up to you?
Just keep going – everyone has bad days, and it’s important not to let it deter you from your goal. This is definitely a sport that takes time and requires patience, commitment and discipline. One day at a time!
Famous Quotes you live by?
You won’t know if you don’t try!
Famous Last Words?
Stay true to who you are and always give your absolute best!
For more information on Jason, check out his social media at:
Facebook Page: Jason Dunning IFBB Pro