In bodybuilding circles, it’s common knowledge that shows are won from the back. Developing this large key area is crucial in your ongoing quest for the ultimate physique.
NABBA bodybuilder Henk van Tonder blasts his back by dividing the exercises into four categories:
- Exercises for back width (wide-grip chins)
- Exercises for lat thickness (bent-over-barbell rows)
- Exercises for the lower lats (close-grip chins)
- Exercises for the lower back (deadlifts)
Henk built a powerful, yet aesthetically-pleasing back to dominate the Men’s Performance Bodybuilding division at the 2017 NABBA/WFF South African National Championships.
“Total back development consists of size, shape and detail,” says Henk. For the show he also did not want to neglect his lower back and decided to include deadlifts and hyperextensions for his lower back development. He would typically perform these two exercises on leg day to improve his physique for the stage. Needless to say, Henk walked away with the honours at the show.
Henk recommends the following routines to blast your back to new dimensions. Always perform each set with proper form:
- Bent-over rows 4x 8-12
- Seated cable rows 4x 8-12
- Close-grip pulldowns 3x 8-12
- Deadlifts 3x 8-12
- Chin-ups 3x failure
- T-bar rows 4x 10-12
- One-arm dumbbell rows 4x 10-12
- Bent-over barbell rows 4x 10-12
- Wide-grip chin-ups 3x failure
* Check out the January/February 2018 edition of Muscle Evolution for more secrets on how to build a brick-wall back!